The Department of Romance Studies offers students a broad range of opportunities for language acquisition, as well as the chance to become sophisticated interpreters of the literature, film, philosophy and material culture produced within and influenced by the Romance languages.
Majors and Minors
The Department of Romance Studies offers three majors and four minors for undergraduate students, along with coursework in Polish. Explore the links below for detailed information each program:
- French (major and minor offered)
- Italian (major and minor offered)
- Portuguese (minor offered)
- Spanish (major and minor offered)
- Polish Language Program
Questions? Our Director of Undergraduate Studies is Cecelia Lawless, Senior Lecturer of Spanish Language and Literature. Her office hours are Thursdays 3:00 - 5:00pm or by appointment in K112 Klarman Hall.
Class of 2018 Extraordinary Journeys
Recent graduates reflect on their experiences and studies at Cornell:
- Benjamin Abeles, Italian & Government
- Hadiyah Chowdhury, Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies & Anthropology & French
- Olivia Goldring, Government, French, & Psychology
- Aleson Laird, Spanish & History
Class of 2017 Extraordinary Journeys
Cornell is a place where you are exposed to people from all walks of life. Talk to them! Get to know them! This opens doors in many ways you may have never previously imagined, and can lead to life long friends.
— Braulio Castillo, Biological Sciences & French ’18